||Home Remedies for Children's CYSTITIS
- Discourage your child from holding on when he needs
to spend a penny.
- Avoid using scented bubble baths, soaps and baby
wipes, as the chemicals in them can be irritant.
Choose plain (unscented, uncoloured) toilet paper for
the same reason.
- Encourage your child to drink lots of mineral water, at
least 8 glasses a day, to flush the infection from the
- Cranberries are renowned for helping to prevent and
relieve cystitis. They produce hippuric add in the
urine, which addifies the urinary tract and inhibits
the growth of bacteria. Give sugar-free cranberry
juice to . drink twice a day, or serve the freshly
cooked fruit. If these are rejected you can buy
cranberry tablets from most healthfood stores.
- Lemon barley water can be soothing. The best kind is
home-made: Boil a little barley with some slices of
lemon, strain and sweeten with honey and put in the
fridge to chill.
- During an attack of cystitis try to eliminate sugar,
refined carbohydrates, dried fruits and yeast-
containing foods (bread, croissants, Marmite, vinegar
and pickles) from the diet.
- Massage the lower back and tummy with a salve
containing Sandalwood essential oil.
- Give your child coolish baths with seasalt added.
Apply cold compresses to the lower abdomen.
- Children's urinary problems often respond well to a
combination of Cornsilk and Marshmallow Root.
Prepare by simmering 1/2 oz/15 g of Marshmallow
Root in I pint (600 ml) of boiling water for 15 minutes.
Make an infusion of Cornsilk by steeping 2 teaspoons
in I cup (240 ml) of boiling water for 5 minutes.
Combine the two infusions, sweeten with honey and
give as sips throughout the day.