||Home Remedies for Children's CONSTIPATION
- Constipation can be prevented and relieved by eating
fresh fruit and vegetables. These foods are rich in
natural fibre which works rather like an intestinal
brush, sweeping food swiftly along the digestive
- As a precautionary measure include plenty of pure
fruit and vegetable purees in your baby's diet.
- Give a little prune juice to a constipated baby. Pour
boiling water onto a handful of organic prunes and
soak overnight, then, strain and give by teaspoon or
in a bottle.
- Alternatively, give baby a little strained and diluted
freshly squeezed apple juice.
- If you are breastfeeding, drink at least 6 glasses of
mineral water a day, and supplement with fresh fruit
juice such as apple or grape. The gentle laxative
effects will be passed on to baby.
- Some babies become constipated when they start on
solid foods. Introduce one food at a time so you
know which one is causing the problem. Unripe
bananas are a common cause of constipation - their
skins need to have gone black before babies can
digest them properly. Eggs also have a binding effect
and should be avoided until baby is 12 months old.
- Drinking too much milk can often lead to constipation
in children. Try to replace milk with water and
diluted fresh fruit juices. Rice and oat milks also
make refreshing substitutes for cow's milk. Offer
apples, pears, grapes, raw carrots and sticks of celery
to young children to munch on as snacks between
- Replace white bread, biscuits, cakes and commercial
cereals with wholemeal bread and pasta, brown rice
and' muesli-type cereals.
- Make an infusion of Liquorice or Ginger Root,
sweetened with plenty of honey. Give your child sips
of this 2 to 3 times a day until the constipation eases.
- For stubborn constipation you could also try giving 1
teaspoon of powdered linseeds. These could be
added to cereal or soup.
- Gently stroke your child's tummy in a clockwise
direction. For children over 5 years old, make an
aromatherapy massage oil using Marjoram, Black
Pepper, Rosemary or Hyssop (singly or in
combination) - 6-10 drops to 30 ml of Avocado oil.