||Home Remedies for Children's COLIC
- Some babies swallow air with their feeds, which may
cause colic if they cannot bring it up easily. This can
happen in breastfed babies when the milk flow is too
strong, as well as bottlefed babies if the teat is too
big (for new babies) or too small (for older ones).
Experiment with different feeding positions or a teat
with a different-sized hole.
- Try to prevent your baby becoming desperate for
food, as he will gulp down air when crying and when
sucking too frantically.
- Always sit baby upright after feeds and rub his back
to bring up wind. This is worthwhile even if baby has
dropped off to sleep, as he will soon drift off again
and is more likely to sleep soundly as a result.
- Try to relax when breastfeeding a colicky baby. The
nervous tension of an anxious mother can upset an
infant enough to interfere with his digestion.
- It is natural to want to nurse a crying baby, but as a
colicky baby is not digesting properly, extra milk may
only aggravate the problem when all baby really
wants is a comfort suck. Offering your finger, a
dummy or a bottle of tepid water can often ease
baby's distress more effectively.
- Colicky babies are often soothed by being carried
around upright in a baby sling - also worth a try if you
have chores to do around the house.
- Colic can often be helped by massaging baby's tummy
gently. Lie baby on his back and gently rub his
abdomen in a clockwise direction using two or three
of your fingers. If your baby prefers to be on his
tummy, place him across your lap and gently rub back
and forth across his lower back.
The benefits can be enhanced by using an
aromatherapy massage oil: 2 drops Fennel or 2 drops
Dill to 30 ml Almond oil.
- For babies over 3 months old, mix half a teaspoon of
Slippery Elm. powder with a little boiled water to
make a paste. Add more water, milk or fruit juice,
sweeten with a little honey if preferred and offer to
baby in a bottle.
- If you are breastfeeding, have a cupful of fennel tea
3 times a day, sweetened with honey if you prefer.